Image: Harry Morgan. Image credit: Shannon Tofts
Craft Scotland and Emergents are thrilled to be returning to London Design Fair in September 2017 with our second presentation of the Scotland: Craft & Design pavilion. After debating the incredibly high calibre of submissions during the selection panel, we are excited to introduce you to the makers whose work will be showcased on the 2017 pavilion.
The talented makers who have been selected work across ceramics, lighting, glass, mixed media, furniture and textiles. When you visit our pavilion you will discover the inventive and unorthodox glass sculptures of Shaun Fraser, Juli Bolaños-Durman and Harry Morgan, alongside carefully crafted ceramics from Fiona Byrne-Sutton and Patricia Shone. We’re debuting furniture by Hynd and Halliday and new and fascinating work from Bespoke Atelier, Tom Pigeon and Inches Carr Trust bursary winner Lynne MacLachlan. Revel in bold textiles by Heather Shields, Hilary Grant and Mariam Syed, rejoice in meticulously designed furniture by Jonathan Pang and Namon Gaston, and bask in the glow of beautiful lighting by Yellow Broom, Carrie Fertig and Kate Colin.
Come and see our selection of innovative design-led Scottish craft at the London Design Fair, the four-day industry event that is the highlight of the annual London Design Festival. We’ll be building on the success of our first showcase in 2016, featuring a multidisciplinary selection of the best makers working in Scotland today presented on an innovative stand designed by Scottish design studio, GRAS.
Located in the creative heart of East London, the London Design Fair brings together 500 exhibitors from 28 countries, including independent designers, established brands, international country pavilions and galleries. It attracts over 27,000 influential retailer buyers, architects, interior designers, press, designers and design-savvy public. Exhibitors showcase furniture, lighting, interior textiles, materials and conceptual installations from around the world.
The event is held at the Old Truman Brewery and runs Thursday 21 to Sunday 24 September 2017. The first two days of London Design Fair are designed for trade buyers with the final two days being open to the public and trade.
In 2016 the reception for the Scotland: Craft & Design pavilion was immense. The makers and the pavilion generated media coverage in the Guardian, Financial Times, Crafts Magazine and Elle Decoration, to name a few. Following the show, over half of our makers reported press coverage, made links with new buyers and stockists, and more than a third gained new gallery representation.
Discover more about our selected makers and their work:
- Bespoke Atelier (Surface and textile design, Glasgow)
- Carrie Fertig (Glass, Edinburgh)
- Fiona Byrne-Sutton (Ceramics, Glasgow)
- Harry Morgan (Mixed media, Edinburgh)
- Heather Shields (Textiles, Glasgow)
- Hilary Grant (Textiles, Orkney)
- Hynd and Halliday (Furniture, Edinburgh)
- Jonathan Pang (Furniture, Edinburgh)
- Juli Bolaños-Durman (Glass, Edinburgh)
- Kate Colin (Paper, Glasgow)
- Lynne MacLachlan (Mixed media, Bishopton)
- Mariam Syed (Textiles, Glasgow)
- Namon Gaston (Furniture, Cousland)
- Patricia Shone (Ceramics, Ardvasar)
- Shaun Fraser (Glass, Inverness)
- Tom Pigeon (Mixed media, Arncroach)
- Yellow Broom (Furniture, Grantown-on-Spey)
The selection panel:
- Jimmy Macdonald: Founder and Director, London Design Fair (Tent London & Super Brands London)
- Jo Scott: Project Manager, Craft Scotland
- Pamela Conacher: Director, Emergents
- Dr Stacey Hunter: Design curator and Director of Local Heroes
Thursday 21 to Sunday 24 September 2017
Trade-only days: Thursday 21 to Friday 22 September 2017
Trade and Public days: Saturday 23 to Sunday 24 September 2017
Address: Old Truman Brewery, 26 Hanbury Street, London E1 6QR